Wednesday, July 28, 2010

'nother update

I was discharged from the hospital this evening with orders to stay in Nashville, in case I go into labor again. The c-section is still scheduled for the 3rd.
We had another conversation with a specialist today. He gave us even more detailed information than we had before and even more statistics. He said treatment is pretty standard for babies with a diaphragmatic hernia and her survival is really dependent on her anatomy (which they cannot successfully predict in utero.)
We are weary. It is so draining to talk about the possibility of losing your baby. We trust God's will and are hopeful that our desires match His plan. This has been a hard day. I just want my baby to be ok.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rolling with the punches

I am still stable and Keatley is still looking good too. This Thursday, my OB along with the pediatric surgeon, and neonatologist will be having a treatment team about Keatley and me. They are looking at the possibility of releasing me from the hospital if I can stay in Nashville and pushing back my c-section to the 1oth.
We have an excellent team of doctors and we plan to make work whatever they decide is best. This will (again) change everything logistically regarding money and places to stay. Jay would also be missing even more work before her birth, leaving less time to be here during her recovery. We are trusting the Lord to take care of the big stuff and the little stuff too. This is hard but we know that He is not surprised by any of this.

Monday, July 26, 2010


I wanted to let you all know that Jay and I are so thankful for everyone's calls, emails, posts, monetary gifts, and gifts of service. We have been overwhelmed by the love of the Lord through the Body of Christ. I'm not responding to all of the messages now, mostly because I have an IV in my hand which makes it difficult to type, but know how thankful and appreciative we are, truly.


We are already in Nashville. I started having contractions Thursday night and they continued through Friday morning. I spent Friday night at UT trying to stop the contractions. They continued through that night so they sent me to Vanderbilt Saturday. My contractions have finally stopped but we are staying here until Keatley is born to avoid complications. The plan is to keep her original due date as August 3, 2010 but she will be born sooner than that if I go into labor. There is an increased risk if she is born before 37 weeks which will be this Thursday. Right now we are stable and I am hoping it stays that way.

I will post updates when I can. Continue to pray...this sucks.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010


We went to Vanderbilt today to meet with the neonatologist. It was emotionally exhausting. Forgive me if this doesn't make much sense. The neonatologist said that we would know within a couple of weeks of delivery if Keatley will survive. There is a 50/50 chance of her needing ECMO (bypass machine.) Recovery will be a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks. She will have developmental delays but at some point down the road be able to catch up with the help of various types of therapy.
It's hard to have no control. The only thing I can do is take my vitamins and be in Nashville when she is born. I don't want my 3-year-old to have to be displaced for months. I don't want him to have to be away from my husband and me more than usual.
I don't want my baby to be sick. I want her to come home. Today I am broken.
FYI c-section is August 3rd between 7:30 and 9:30 central time